Saturday, February 27, 2010

Little Miss Worker Mom

I was at a dinner party last night where the host's 6 year old looked at me in horror (after overhearing a conversation) and said "YOU work?".  It was hilarious and the host (stay at home mother of 3) genuinely laughed and said "Yes, some moms DO work!"
Since having Jack in September - and being back at work (part time) 4 weeks later - I've been challenged on many occasions to make sure I'm doing right by my family.  I took 8 months off with my first which felt really right for me.  8 months was a great amount of time to spend figuring out motherhood and bonding with my girl.  I also went back to work in September which mentally felt good as it was "back to school".  I made a big decision at 6 months pregnant with Jack to jump into a new business venture - knowing that this would mean I'd be following my US counterparts and be quickly working again. The huge difference being - I'd be working from home.  I still struggle some days with the focus I've always had on work, and how I balance that with family.  The way I see it is, I won't be checking into an office 8am-6pm 12 months from now - I'll still be at home balancing and prioritizing family.  I like this about what I'm doing now and feel it's working for me.  I also know that any challenging days I come across are paralleled for every other mom (working or not) - Just different.