Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Life As a Baby Mama



Wow!  What did I do without not one, but two kids?  How life has changed in two years.  I feel smarter in a very different way than I would have defined "smart" previously.  Recently, as I approach my daughters 2nd birthday (and my son's 3 month birthday), i've been reflecting on learnings and changes I've made to accommodate and improve life as a "Baby Mama" and wife.
  1. Get Greener.  I read two great green books I commonly refer back to called "Healthy Child Healthy World" http://healthychild.org/ and "the green book - The Everyday Guide To Saving The Planet One Simple Step At A Time".  They make getting green very common sense and provide easy tips to help reduce toxins in our kids and our lives.  I feel really good about the changes I've made such as: cleaning products, shoes off in the house, reduction in plastics and processed items.  Small things that make me feel better about what I can control in my kids lives.
  2. Shut Up.  Sometimes.  I've learnt to TRY to not over-direct my husband on how to take care of our kids.  It's hard because as mothers we spend so much time with our kids and let's face it, we just do things differently and think things through in different ways than the male species.  As newish parents we over worry about things and need to chill and let different parenting styles shine through without constant comments.  This is much harder than you think (and goes both ways).
  3. Stand Up.  To the people around you who, with the best intentions, pressure you to do things or be places.  I now try to make decisions for me and my family first as I have a tendency to want to say yes to everyone.  Yes, this means I miss out on some fun occasions I used to look forward to, but the effort that is now required to make some of these things happen is just not always worth it.  Bottom line, it's okay to say no thanks to things you used to jump at.  It's better to under-promise and surprise than over-promise and disappoint (which leads to guilt and who needs more of that!?)
  4. Pre-Prepared Food.  Too much take-out led me to discover some great local places that sell pre-prepared foods that are much tastier, cheaper and have way better ingredients with fewer additives than freezer food from the supermarket and take-out.  My fav's: Pusatari's, Summer Hill Market, Urban Fare.  Requires some planning but you can scoop a weeks worth of dinners in one trip vs. the dreaded "what are we doing for dinner" at 8pm with a bare fridge and zero energy.
  5. Don't Hermit.  Reaching out to connect with friends is worth the effort.  The beauty of our generation is this is easier than a time when face to face was the only option!  There are so many ways to stay connected there's really little excuse to not reach out to close friends somewhat frequently - whether it be by email, facebook, phone or in person.  I'm not a huge "facebooker" but it's so great to see new posts with pictures of friends and their families and make comments back and forth.  I've also enjoyed sharing and chatting with total strangers on twitter.  It's a great place to connect with other moms on common themes.
  6. Work is good.  For me.  Life as a mom is riddled with guilt so why not up the ante and throw work into the mix!  I get a lot out of my work life and feel really empowered to be keeping up with work now that I have kids.  Some days are harder than others but in general it makes me feel whole and hey! money is required to travel and do other things that are fulfilling to me.