Friday, January 1, 2010

The Best Black Leggings: Uncovered



I love Leggings.  They are awesome any day - fat days, slim days, dressy, casual, pregnant, post-pregnant...
I'm currently wearing them more than ever as I've yet to squeeze back into my favourite jeans post-pregnancy.
I've done my homework - surveying friends and seeking them out in stores - to find the best black leggings.  I've found leggings I love and some that I have bought and regretted.  Now I'm here to share the goods with all my legging lovin' friends.


Best 2 Brands of Black Leggings:
  1. Danskin "stretchfit" Leggings: They have 3/4 length and full length.  They have lycra and spandex in them which is great for 2 purposes: sucking you in (slimming) and not fading in the wash.  These are the best for dressing up with boots and under long sweaters.  You can find them in Legs Beautiful stores (if you live in Toronto they are scattered all around the city, close to subway stations on Yonge Street, and a staple in malls).
  2. Hue Leggings: These 95% cotton and 5% spandex leggings are SO comfy.  They are great for casual or dressy.  They aren't as slimming as the Danskin ones as they have more cotton in them, but for the same reason - are more comfy.  Although they are mostly cotton they have kept their black colour in the wash.  They can be found in department stores as well as Legs Beautiful stores. 


Worth a mention: 
  1. Talula Leggings:  They are available in 3/4 and full length and come in many colours.  The black ones fade in the wash which is why they didn't make the top 2 list.  The low rise waist makes them nice and comfy.  They are more slimming than the Hue brand.  I have them in grey and black and wear them a lot in the summer under long tanks and t-shirts.   
Not Impressed:
  1. Spanx:  I have other Spanx products that I like a lot so I was excited when I found out they had black leggings - thinking they would be very slimming in all the right places.  Bottom line: spent way too much on these and will not wear them as they have a "control top" that you can see right down to mid-thigh.  Unless you are wearing them with a longer dress they don't work as a traditional black legging.  Very disappointing.
Let me know if I've missed any gems in my search!